Fat grafting or lipotransfer

People are always thinking of how to change their appearance, well now you can even think of how you want to redistribute the fat on your body.    The procedure, fat grafting or lipotransfer involves the removal of fat through liposuction to then be injected into another area of the body.  This fat can be used to fill the face, nasolabial folds, the buttocks, and deformities on other areas of the body.  There is discussion though on the convenience of using fat to fill the breasts since it can cause micro calcifications and an increased risk of cancer.

The procedure is performed under general anesthesia.  Liposuction and fat grafting is a relatively quick procedure that can be performed as an outpatient, on both men and women.

There are several techniques that can be used to perform liposuction, tumescent, ultrasonic, vibro liposuction, VASER, among a few others.  But, more important than the technique is the expertise, knowledge, experience the surgeon has.

The procedure can take anything from an hour to two, depending on technique to be used and areas to be worked on.  The surgery starts with general anesthesia, then infiltration of the areas to be sculpted with saline and other solutions, to prepare the area for suctioning.  A cannula is used to suction the fat through a very small incision made on the skin.   The fat is then prepared for injection with the use of a thick needle.  One suture is placed in each incision point.

After the surgery there will be some bruising and swelling, 80% of this swelling disappears during the first two weeks, the other 20% takes 4 to 6 months.  Pain involved is immediately controlled with painkillers and is not severe.  Usually only mild discomfort is felt.  A compression garment must be used to help in the healing process, one month during day and night, and then one more month during the day only.

Some of the fat that is injected will be reabsorbed, so overcorrection is common. The best thing about this technique is that fat is autologous, from your own body, so there is no chance of a negative reaction.

Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery in Costa Rica www.plasticsurgery.co.cr